Before The Darkness..... Episode 12 | A 1000% LAFF AFRICA

Before The Darkness..... Episode 12

Null
Sarkin Aljan limped away from the room.

He had been caught off guard by Sango’s
attack. There was no way he could have
known that he was one of the soldiers,
his idiot helpers did not know too. He
knew why he came; Oya! He immediately
sent his men to secure her cell, if Sango
did not get her, he would come back.
He just suffered ridicule again in the
sight of the president and his people.
First, he could not destroy Asaba as he
promised, now his public execution was
disrupted. He was not sure, but with
Sango now working with the soldiers, he
must have been the one to stop the
portal too. He now saw Ibilis’ point;
Sango was going to be a great threat.
But it was only a matter of days. In three
days, Nigeria would fall and not even
Sango can do anything about it this
time.
He had always known Sango to be proud
and self-centered except when it had to
do with Oya. Sango was one of the
biggest forces that helped fight Ibilis
during the great war in heaven. Everyone
knew what a great warrior he was but
Ibilis trying to convince Oya to join the
dark side had given him more motivation.
He never lost a battle when Oya was
involved. Well, until now.
He turned the handle at the door and
walked into the room where Oya was
kept. She had been bound and held in the
same position for a long time now. An
ordinary human would have lost all
strength, maybe died but she was still as
fierce as she was in the beginning. And
he loved her for it. She was a beauty
beyond compare, and probably the only
goddess as mighty as Sango was.
He knew she would find it difficult to
love him, especially after he kills her
husband but he would have her
nonetheless.
She lifted her head as he approached
her. The hate on her face made him
shudder.
“What do you want, you vermin?” She
growled.
“I look forward to the day you turn
‘vermin’ to ‘darling’. And maybe replace
the frown with a loving smile.” He said.
He moved close to her and brushed her
hair gently.
“Edumare will sooner hand over Heaven
to Ibilis than I call you that!”
“Well, that might happen very soon then.
Why do you think I’m here? In three days
Nigeria falls and when she does, all
others will follow suit. By the time we
have the earth and we take all men
captive…well, you know how much
Edumare loves them.”
He observed her; what he said seemed to
have affected her and first the first time,
he saw the strength on her face fade. But
only for a second.
“You think Damola will stand and watch
you do that? You think Edumare will
stand and watch you take over the
earth?”
“Ah, I knew it was only a matter of time
before you bring up that husband of
yours. It’s good that you did though
because I have sad news for you. He was
here”
She looked at him and once again, her
strength faded.
“Where is he? Where is Damola?!” She
shouted.
“All I can tell you is, he got what he
deserved and I’m sorry, you will never see
him again.”
“I will kill you! I swear by Edumare, I will
kill you!”
He could see she meant it. If she could,
she would really kill him. It was a good
thing both her hands were covered and
water was not even close to her.
“I’m sorry love but I must leave you now.
In three days I will be running this
country, I need to prepare. But don’t
worry, I will be back for you my love and
together, we will rule this world.”
***
President Lange sighed as the car pulled
into the compound. He could still see the
look on his ministers’ faces when he left
the office. They had not openly
condemned him but he could see it in
their eyes; they were disappointed. He
could not say anything to them, only
Adigwe had talked with him and it had
been brief.
The whole world now knew about his
affair. He had not bothered to check but
he knew the major news stations will be
talking about his affair and his deal with
the masked terrorist. He was not the only
one to suffer ridicule and press pressure.
Bola had already sent him a text saying
she was leaving the country. She did not
say where she was going, he did not
blame her. She had lost her son to a
maniac because of him. Her privacy was
gone; she would forever be remembered
as the president’s mistress, she had a
right to leave.
He had no idea what he would do but he
had to do something, and very fast too.
The car pulled over, the door opened and
he stepped out. He got to the entrance of
the house and stopped; some of his
wife’s traveling bags were outside. He
stepped in quickly and hurried up the
stairs to his room. His wife was picking
some jewelries off her wardrobe.
“What are you doing?” He asked, already
fearing the worst.
“I’m leaving for Minna tonight with the
kids. I already hired a private jet. And
don’t worry, nobody but the pilot knows
who the passengers are.”
“Susan, no! Please I need you now more
than ever.” Lange said, reaching for
hand.
She withdrew her hand and continued to
pack the jewelries. After a few minutes
she stopped and sank into the bed. She
looked up at Lange, there were tears in
her eyes.
“I loved you Johnson, with the whole of
my heart I loved you. To the point that
even after I found out about the affair, I
kept quiet. She made you happy but you
did not let it affect the happiness here,
at home. I thought I could survive, after
all, I was the one at home.” She stood
and walked towards him. “But then you
gave up your country for her? The people
who voted for you, the people you swore
to keep and protect? For a mistress?!”
“I’m sorry dear, I didn’t plan for this to
happen. I am so sorry.”
“I have to go Johnson, I don’t want to
delay the flight.” She said and picked the
box she had stuffed the jewelries in.
“When will you be back?” Tears were
beginning to come to his eyes.
“I’ll be at the house in Minna till all this
trouble with the terrorists is over. You
can come and see me then. I’ll call to tell
you if you need to bring a lawyer.”
“Susan please don’t hate me. Please
don’t let my children hate me.”
She paused and looked back at him.
“Your children will not hate you, you are
their hero.”
“How about you?” He said, eyes pleading.
“Good night Johnson.” She said and
walked out of the room.
***
Toni sat in silence a few feet from Eric.
He looked at her with concern; she had
been sitting quietly for hours. She could
not quite figure out what Eric – or
whatever his name was, just told him.
She had never believed in myths and
gods but now she was seated in the
presence of one. She had met and seen a
lot of people during her few years as a
reporter, none of them compared to what
she had experienced the previous day.
Eric had tried his best to explain but still
she did not quite get it. It was obvious
she would have to make a decision; freak
out or deal with the information as if it
were normal.
It was more important now to make a
quick decision especially after what they
had watched on television. Eric claimed
to have met the masked terrorist, he even
claimed to have stopped the Asaba
darkness. She believed him, she really did
but she had no idea what to do with the
information she now had. Then there was
the part of him being wanted for murder.
She had asked him if he killed the lady;
he denied but she was unsure. He could
disappear into thin air, there was no
telling what else he was capable of.
“You’ve been quiet for too long? It’s
been almost twenty four hours since I
told you already.” Eric said.
She had sulked enough; she would not
find clarity sitting on her butt.
“What are you going to do now? You are
wanted – you can’t exactly walk around
town anymore.” She said.
“I need to find out who is trying to frame
me for murder. Pearl – my assistant
mentioned that Morayo called and said
she was being forced to sue me. I waved
it off… whoever did that must have killed
her when she got in contact with me.”
Eric said.
“Do you have any idea who it could be?”
“I’ve been here only a short time. I don’t
know any enemies I could have gotten in
such a short time.”
“Well, except for people who are jealous
of your fast rise.”
“You could help me. I’m sure you know
people who could help.” Eric said and
looked at her with pleading eyes.
“Look Eric…” She started but was cut off
by her ringing phone.
She picked the phone up; it was her boss
from work.
“Hello Boss.” Toni said and walked
towards a window.
“Where have you been?” Her boss asked.
“I’ve been running some errands, I’ll be
coming in tomorrow though.”
“No, you will not need to, you are going
to Minna tonight.”
“What… Minna? Why?” She had never
been to the town, nothing ever happened
there.
“The first lady just left for Minna. A
philandering president, a scorned wife, it
all makes for a good story, don’t you
think?” The boss really sounded excited.
“You sound so excited about this…”
“Of course, I am, this is potentially a
great story.”
“It’s the possible end of a person’s
marriage and all you see is a great
story?” Toni said and discovered her
temper was rising. “I’m sorry about that,
it was totally unnecessary.
“Oh-kay. I want you to come in now, we
need to finalize this plan.”
The call ended and she sighed. She
wanted to go so she could get far away
from Eric but a part of her dreaded the
trip.
“Are you okay?” Eric asked.
She turned and faced him. “I have to go
to Minna tonight. It’s okay for you to
stay here till you sort yourself with the
police but I need to stay away from you
for a while. Please don’t call me, I’ll get
in touch with you if and when I am ready,
okay?”
***
Eric punched the cushion, stepped away
from it then ran at it and punched it
harder. He wanted to scream but it would
attract the attention of the neighbours so
he stopped himself. He had no idea what
to do, it was not a position he loved
being in. He wanted to speak with Pearl
but he knew the office would be under
surveillance and so would she. He had to
find out who was after him one way or
the other. And then there was the matter
of the masked terrorist.
He had to make a choice. He could not
do both; save the country or save his
life. He had always considered himself
selfish but something inside him stirred
him towards ending Sarkin Aljan’s reign
of terror. To do that, he needed Sango.
He had seen him on television and could
only hope that he escaped. Maybe there
was nothing he could do about Sarkin
Aljan for now. Maybe he had to wait and
soon everything will fall into place.
“This is the day of trouble, you must not
wait!” The voice came from behind, it
was Orunmila.
“How great of you to show up now.
Where have you been? Sarkin Aljan is
gaining strength and is getting bolder
and you choose now to go into hiding?”
Eric asked.
“You have to take responsibility for what
is coming. I am only here to help, the
battle is yours to fight.” Orunmila said
with such calm Eric relaxed.
“I don’t know what Sarkin Aljan is
planning; I have no idea when or where
he plans to strike next. Even if I did,
what am I supposed to do?”
“Nigeria will go down in three days…”
Orunmila started.
“What?!” Eric exclaimed.
“Well…except Sarkin Aljan is stopped
first. Sango is not here, he has faced him
in several battles, he would know how to
beat him.”
“Surely Sarkin Aljan can be stopped,
surely he will be stopped.”
“Well, in three days, Nigeria would either
be shut down by the Black Death disease
or Sarkin Aljan would be destroyed. It is
in your hand to save this country.”
***
The room felt colder than usual that
night. The chill probably came from
inside him and not the air-conditions.
Lange rose from his bed and walked into
the bathroom. He had a pack of
cigarettes hidden away behind the closet.
He had not smoked in six years but he
always had a pack close to him. He stuck
his hand behind the closet and
rummaged around till he found it. He
opened the pack and brought out a
lighter he had kept inside it. He thought
about stepping out into the balcony
before he lit the cigarette but with his
wife gone, he was free to do what he
wanted.
He lit cigarette and watched it burn. Was
he ready to give up six years of
abstinence?
His phone rang. “Ah, saved by the
phone.”
He looked at the phone and gasped; it
was the masked terrorist again! He
dropped the phone. Nothing good had
ever come out of his calls. He stared at
the cigarette, paused for a second then
put it in his mouth. He puffed at it for a
few seconds then took a long drag. He
spit the stick out and crushed it between
his fingers. He started to cough and his
eyes started to hurt. The smoke did not
seem to agree with his system anymore.
His phone rang again; it was still the
terrorist. He grabbed the phone.
“What the fffu…“ He started to say then
paused. “What do you want?!”
“I’m beginning to think you don’t like me
calling you. Is that true?”
“What do you want?”
“Okay, strictly business then, just like you
want it. Tonight is the beginning of the
end. We are currently on our way to the
heart of your country. In three days,
Nigeria will be history. I just thought you
should know.”
“You will never get into Abuja, we are
waiting for you. Nobody, nobody at all
threatens me or my people, you son of…”
“Hey, calm down. There is no need for
name calling. Abuja is ready for us huh?
Okay. I warned you though. And hey,
don’t worry about failing as a president.
You won’t be the only president to give
up his country to save his people, you
will just be the first.”
What was he talking about?
“Are you done with your threats? Do not
call this number again! Next time we talk,
it will be with you behind bars.”
“Very funny Mr. President, because I was
thinking the next time we talk will be
when you are begging to spare your
country. We both agree on one thing
though, this is the last time I will call
you. Goodbye Mr. President.”
Normally he would be afraid with the
threats he just received but there was
something he knew that the terrorist did
not know.
He dialed a number on his phone.
“Hello Shina, you are still monitoring the
tracker, right?”
“Yes sir!”
“Let me know as soon as it moves.”
Lange said and ended the call.
He left his bed and walked to his
wardrobe. It was time to end the terrorist
once and for all. He had work to do.
.
.
.
.
.
To be continued
Null

Post a comment