I and Ogechi...Episode 21 | A 1000% LAFF AFRICA

I and Ogechi...Episode 21

Null

I deliberated until it was about two minutes to the commencement of the
program and Cynthia was still in the bathroom singing with much excitement and probably dancing, hoping to come out and unleash

the dragon on me. Little did she know that my attention had been divided. Did I say divided? My attention had been stolen!
I quickly rushed down to the sitting room
and turned on the television. After about
five minutes Cynthia came down to meet
me paying rapt attention to the program.
She wondered what made me pay such
attention to TV. She also thought I wasn’t
happy that she had spent so much time in
the bathroom. Be that as it may, she didn’t
expect what she got from me. She came
and was sweet talking me as she bent over
the couch from behind and unbuttoning my
shirt and rubbing my chest. All that didn’t
move me. How I wish she would just keep
doing that while I watched Ogechi. She saw
that I wasn’t moved by the seductive
measures she employed, and it struck her
that something was not right.
“What’s going on J? Why are you acting
weird?”
“This is one of my favorite TV programs,
and I’ve been looking forward to this very
edition. Please permit me to watch it. I’ll
come to you when it’s over”
“What?” You’re leaving me in this high
temperature because of a TV program?
You’re kidding right?”
“If only you understood the impact this
program will have on me, you wouldn’t stop
me from watching it”
“Seriously?!”, I don’t know what has
suddenly come over you. I can’t believe
you want to trade what was supposed to be
the sweetest moment of our lives together
for a mere TV program. Are you okay?”
“Come on Cynthia, no one is trading
anything here. Postpone would be a better
word for to use”
“You’ve got to be crazy. Cynthia got pissed
off and walked out on me. I was glad she
finally did. I had been hoping she would do
so three minutes ago; instead she stood
there running those alluring lips of hers.
Mcheeeeeeww!
Ogechi was called to come on set. The
moment I saw my Ogechi I felt like jumping
into the TV set to meet her. Wow! This girl
is damn pretty. She was dressed in red
short gown with something like wings on
both sides. She didn’t apply much make up
on her face but looked more stunning than
ever before. She was smiling all through. I
remembered that smile. She was very
impressive. I couldn’t stop analyzing her. I
remembered the first day I met her. I
remembered the night at my house and
many other wonderful moments we had
spent together and I missed her
exceedingly.
The interview started;
“It’s nice to have you again on the show
after such a long time. I’m sure going to
get my pound of flesh today because I don’t
know when next I’ll be seeing you around.
It’s not every day we get to hang out with
celebrities like you” the broadcaster said.
Cynthia blushed at what the broadcaster
said and I joined her unconsciously.
The broadcaster continued; “I’ll start today
by asking where you reside now. We know
you were based in America until barely two
years ago when you decided to go back to
Nigeria. As it is now, one can’t tell if
you’re based in America or Nigeria because
today you’re here and tomorrow you’re in
Nigeria. So can you tell us about that? I
believe there are quite a number of us that
may want to pay you a visit”
“Well, I’d say I’m based in Nigeria. But due
to the invitations I get almost always, it
might be difficult to get to me because I
move to different places at very short
notice. With that I can’t say I’m based at
any particular place for now. I think I will
quote our dear Lord Jesus when He was
asked where He lived. He replied saying;
“FOXES HAVE DENS AND BIRDS HAVE
NESTS, BUT THE SON OF MAN HAS NO
PLACE TO LAY HIS HEAD.” “I say same
about myself today. I have no place to lay
my head” (Laughs after making that
statement)
“Wow. That’s interesting. So how does one
get to you if he or she wants to call on you
for collaboration?”
“My manager takes care of that. Just put a
call across to him and he’ll make sure you
have me. He’s a genius”
“Alright, talking about your manager, some
time ago rumor had it that he’s your man.
The people say they don’t see you with any
other man besides him. What are you going
to say to that? Are they right?”
“Some time ago I made it clear that I was
in a relationship and promised to show off
my prince charming to the whole world.
That hasn’t happened yet because we’ve
been quite busy.”
“You mean, like, you guys have been away
from each other for a while now?”
“Exactly”
“So how’s he taking that? Doesn’t he
sometimes want to be with you? I mean,
isn’t he a bit uncomfortable with the way
things are going between you guys? He’s a
guy. At some point he might be worried
about losing you to someone else. How are
you getting him to ride with you on this?
“Actually, he was the one who pushed me
up here. He believes in dreams and
achievements. I’m not quite sure I would
have made it here without his help and
encouragement. He never stopped getting
me to do all he knew would bring me here
someday. Though our schedule does not
permit us to be together more often, the
day shall come when we’ll become
inseparable”
“Wow! That’s really romantic. Our ears are
tingling right now. We want more. Please
tell us all about it.”
“If I start telling you that, they’ll be no end
to this program. It’s a pretty long story.
Plus, that’s private, so I wouldn’t want to
let the whole world in on that. I’ll be
hosting an in-house party in my residence
at Oklahoma City two weeks from now.
There I’ll share some of my life
experiences and stories with those
present.”
“Will price charming be there?”
“I’ll reserve every other information
concerning that till then.
“Okay viewers, it time to take calls. Our
phone lines are open. Call in and say hi to
this this great Nigerian singer. She’s been
rocking the air for a while now and we all
love what she does. I bet the American
government is planning on getting her to
become a citizen.”
People started calling in and either wishing
her well or congratulating her or adoring her
and all that. I was busy trying to call the
number on the screen but I kept getting the
‘BUSY’ feedback from the network. I guess
all of America was also trying the phone
lines as well. After several tries without
getting through, I thought of giving up and
let it slide. Perhaps it wasn’t meant to be.
But then, one careless dial went through
and I was connected.
“We have another caller on the line. Good
evening and welcome to the show. Can you
please tell us where you’re calling from?”
the broadcaster asked.
“Good evening. I’m calling from Regina.
“Okay you’re welcome to the show. So are
you a fan of Oge’s or an admirer?”
“Haha. I would say a fan and an admirer.
I’ve been following her from the start and
I’m really glad that she’s made it this far.
She’s an amazing singer and a pretty
damsel. I don’t think there’s any other as
pretty as she is. I have longed to speak
with her for nearly two years now but to no
avail. I guess she’s pretty busy like she
said.”
At that point, the countenance on Ogechi’s
face changed. There was something unusual
about the call. She sat straight and paid
rapt attention to the caller. I bet she was
trying to decipher the voice. I was talking
to her while watching her on TV. I felt so
omnipresent. I wanted Ogechi to know I was
the one calling. I didn’t want her to just
suspect it could be me. I wanted to make
sure she knew it was me on the line. And
the best way to that was by saying
something only she and I knew. So I
proceeded to drop my points, but I did so in
parables.
“I had almost given up on seeing her again.
But the fact that I’m opportune to speak
with her tonight makes me optimistic that I
will see and talk to her again, even for one
more time. I would have loved to hold her
by the hand and lead her blindfolded to
surprise package, probably a flower, but I
don’t think I stand a chance amongst her
many admirers. I would ask her out on a
cool Sunday evening. And if she objects, I
would get on my knees and beg her until
she consents. I know I wouldn’t pronounce
the word please before she consents.
At that point Ogechi knew it was me. When
we first met at Enugu and she asked me to
come live with her, I asked her out one
Sunday evening. She didn’t want to go with
me. But as soon as I got to my knees she
consented immediately like it was a spell I
cast on her. I always told her I would use
that on her as a trick whenever the
occasion demanded. So saying something
like that probably made her remember that
evening. She got nervous. She stopped me
from talking and asked; “Where did you say
you’re calling from?” “Regina” I replied.
And what’s your name sir?” I was silent for
a little bit and she asked what my name
was again. I opened my mouth to say
Jesusboy but just then, Cynthia burst into
the sitting room with angry words for my
ears. The things she said could be heard by
all who watched the program because she
was yelling. Immediately, I dropped the
call. The presenter then said; I think we’ve
lost the caller. That must have been the
caller’s wife yelling at him. I think it’s a
family issue. The broadcaster then looked
to the screen and said; to our caller from
Regina, whatever it is, please take it easy
with your wife over there. Try to settle
things and give us a call back if you will.
We didn’t even get your name. By the way,
that was very romantic of you. Oge would
be lucky to have a man like you. The
countenance on Ogechi’s face showed her
mind was troubled and she was finding it
hard to tell if it was me or not because of
the word “wife” which the broadcaster
mentioned.
“Cynthia heard what the broadcaster said
and got confused. Are you the caller she’s
referring to? Who’s Oge?” I stood there
acting all lost and confused. “Am I missing
something here?” Cynthia asked again with
a confused look on her face. I thought she
was going to let it slide at my silence. But
she had strong suspicion that I was the one
the broadcaster commended for being
romantic. She enquired to know what was
special about the TV broadcast and why I
was so particular about watching it that I
even hurt her feelings to do so and ended
up being romantic to someone I saw on TV.
I wish she knew who that someone was.
When I wasn’t saying anything in response
she flared up and I got displeased. I
retaliated with harsh tender words that
calmed her down, after which I continued
acting all upset with her for the
embarrassment she just gave me. She was
so sorry and apologized to me dearly. If I
knew, I would have accepted the apology
immediately. But I still pretended to be
really angry about what she just did and
she quickly figured out the best way to put
an end to my anger. “Guess what she
figured out” (The ultimate seal on a
partner’s apology to the other) And that was
nothing but a make-up………..,. Well, let me
not speculate. I prayed it was something
else she figured out but no, it wasn’t. It
was definitely going to end on the couch.
Watch and see.
To be continued.
Null

Post a comment