I and Ogechi...Episode 16 | A 1000% LAFF AFRICA

I and Ogechi...Episode 16

Null

After much effort to provoke negative
inspirations, only sensible thoughts
crossed over my mind, and I ended up remembering
Ogechi, who seemed to have forgotten me.
When I got it up to my neck I left for the
sitting room and continued watching TV.
Just then, a replay of a TV broadcast
featuring TV stars of all sorts was put on
air. That was my kind of program. I loved it
more than the football fans love football. I
sat back and watched. I was still aspiring
to get there, so I wouldn’t miss anything
that could mold me to fit in.
A lot of stars came on set, most of which I
knew. Next thing I heard was Ogechi’s
name being called by the presenter to come
on set. I couldn’t believe my ears. I
watched to see if she was the Ogechi I
knew. Lo and behold, she was her. She was
interviewed and I could hear her talk about
me in parables. As a matter of fact, when
she was asked what inspired her to
embrace music, she answered saying; a
handsome prince charming never stopped
pushing me to do the things I lacked the
courage to do. And I’m here now as a result
of that. The phone line was open to callers
and fans. I rushed to get my phone and call
the number on the screen but remembered
the program was just a replay. However, I
saved the number. The date for the next
live program featuring Ogechi was
announced and I stored it in my head,
looking forward to it. The program ended
and I left to my room and retired for the
day. That night, I dreamed of Ogechi.
The next morning I woke up to meet
breakfast in bed. That never happened
before since I started living with Cynthia.
‘Who did this?’ I wondered. ‘Maybe on of
Cynthia’s cooks has a crush on me’ I
concluded. I waved those thoughts away
and consumed the breakfast without
brushing my teeth. While I was eating,
Cynthia came into my room to check on me.
‘Good morning miss’ I greeted.
‘Morning J. How’s the day going?’
‘Pretty cool’ I replied. One of your cooks
made me breakfast in bed. Can you imagine
that? I wonder how she knew I really
needed a woman to do this for me. Maybe
there’s a connection between us’ I said.
‘Really? Do you want me to find out who
did? She asked.
‘Oh no. I objected. Not now. When I’m ready
to go back to Nigeria, I’ll find out who she
is and take her to mama’ I said, as a joke.
‘Would you really do that for this girl?’
Cynthia asked seriously.
‘Of course’ I replied, still joking.
‘Okay then’ Cynthia said. Until you’re ready
to go back to Nigeria. But that won’t be
anytime soon. Everything is now ready for
you to begin your Master’s Degree program.
I wanted to tell you all about it today in
order to make your day a pleasant one.
That’s why I made you breakfast in bed to
prepare your heart for this news. It appears
the breakfast accomplished more than it
was intended for’ she said, rolling her eyes
and smiling at me romantically as she left
the room.
I was dump founded afterwards. It was
Cynthia who made me breakfast in bed! Na
Cynthia I want carry go show my mama?
Omor see gogbe oo! She was five years
older than me for crying out loud. Did I just
tell her I was taking her home to mum? Oh
no, that was just a joke. I hope she knows.
But on the other hand, this girl has tried
for me oo. She single handedly paid for all
my travel documents and sponsored my trip
abroad, connected me to music producers
and movie directors whom I was working
with from the background pending when
time and chance will lunch me in. She has
provided me with the good life I’ve always
desired, and made necessary arrangements
for me to further my education abroad.
From the look of things, she’s also willing
to give me….. GIVE ME WHAT? Wetin I dey
think sef! I shook my head and dismissed
that last thought. I rejoiced greatly over the
news she brought to me. I called my mother
and a few people at home and enlightened
them on the development of things.
I began my Master’s Degree Program after
nearly six months of coming to America. I
was going to be through with it in eighteen
months’ time. Cynthia kept providing me
with all my needs cheerfully. At a point I
got really curious about Cynthia’s source of
wealth because she was spending money
extravagantly. At least it appeared
extravagant to me. I wouldn’t know if she
considered her way of spending
extravagant. I summoned her one day and
started enquiring. She told me she was just
a fortunate girl. She was into modeling in
Nigeria before she relocated abroad. In her
early years as a model she was required to
go nude on a magazine cover. She was to be
paid good money for that appearance. Being
from a humble background she could not
say no to such offer, adding to the fact that
she had to do it if she wanted to progress
in her career as a model. So she decided to
do it since her name did not ring a bell
then. No one would know who she was.
Amazingly, the magazine got so famous and
found its way to the hands of a CEO of an
American modeling company who loved her
body so much. Every Nigerian who saw that
magazine was so eager to know who the girl
on the magazine cover was. Many people
criticized her while others gave her thumbs
up.
So many castigations came to her and she
couldn’t take it anymore. Though she had
gotten rich, her image was at stake. Luckily
for her, the American CEO of a modeling
company who saw the magazine and loved
her body reached out to her and asked her
to come over to America and continue her
career in his company. That was the best
and only option for her if she wanted to
escape the persecution her action had
drawn to her. She immediately consented
and left for America. The controversy
continued in Nigeria after she left but there
were no proofs to back up any accusation
labeled against her as no one knew who she
was. They only had her name but could not
get to her. The Nigerian press followed her
diligently to get a picture or video of her
modeling for the American modeling
company she worked with. But Cynthia was
a smart girl. Igbo girls no dey carry last
nah.
She changed her looks as soon as she
reached America. She never went on TV
without disguising herself with excessive
makeup and Brazilian hair that even her
colleagues in Nigeria couldn’t recognize her
when they saw a picture of her. Cynthia so
disguised herself that no one who knew her
before was able to identify her in her new
look. Only the press who traveled abroad to
get the picture knew that Cynthia was the
one hiding behind her make up.
Soon enough, the reign of that Nigerian
magazine that made Cynthia abscond was
over and no one talked about Cynthia or the
magazine anymore. Even at that, Cynthia
refused coming back to Nigeria again
except on a visit to her parents, and that
she did secretly. She didn’t want anything
that would resurrect that dead memory.
After modeling in America for five years
she became a millionaire in dollars. She
even became part of the management team
in the modeling company and wasn’t
modeling again. That’s how she got all
those connections with the American stars.
She made it clear to me that she never
wanted to go back to Nigeria again. She
was going to live in America till death. As a
female child, she belonged to whoever
married her so she had no business at
home anymore. About her marriage she
explained that she didn’t want to marry a
white man. She wanted to marry a Nigerian
man based in America. And since she
couldn’t find a serious American based
Nigerian man, she remained unmarried till
she turned 32 years, even though she
looked 23. As a model, she knew what to
do to keep looking younger by the day, and
she had the money to make sure of that.
She was determined to wait until her
desired Nigerian man came. Hmmm,
EVERYONE WITH HIS OR HER OWN STORY
OO!
I was clarified on Cynthia’s source of
wealth but was terrified on some other of
her issues. After she told me everything, I
felt sorry for her. She was afraid of going
back home because of that involuntary
action of hers that was instigated by
someone who neither shared the shame or
the pain. Anyone who doesn’t hear her side
of the story would consider her an indecent
and ambitious girl. But I knew better than
to call her names. In fact, she’s an amazing
girl, kind hearted and philanthropic.
Beautiful, tender, soft, curvy, brown eyed
and with excellent dancing skills. Chai! I
remember the night she paid a visit to my
room in China with dance moves that nearly
suffocated me in a fully air-conditioned
room. I started recalling all the wonderful
things I noticed about Cynthia and even
began to compare between her and Ogechi.
I compared and found it very difficult to
say who among them was to die for. But
wait oo, what is wrong with me? Ogechi is
my girlfriend for goodness’ sake. I’m not
supposed to compare her with anybody.
Wait a minute, did I say my girlfriend?
Damn it! She’s miles and miles away from
me and we don’t even communicate. On the
other hand, Cynthia is here with me, just
that she’s not my girlfriend. She could be if
I want her to. Am I sure of that? Does she
even like me? Come on, she made me
breakfast in bed. I must be stupid. Even if
she likes me, I wouldn’t want to date a girl
five years older than me. Not like I’m going
to marry her anyway. I could just date her
until I’m done with my Masters’ Degree
Program. No oo, I have no intentions of
using and dumping anybody. If I get myself
into any relationship, it must be a serious
one that could lead to marriage if God
wills, and I can’t marry a girl older than me
even with one month. But wait oo, why am I
thinking all these? Am I falling for Cynthia?
To be continued.
Null

Post a comment